COMMUNITY

COMMUNITY

Charity food points in Florence

One of the silver linings of the lockdown experience is witnessing the amount of charitable energy people have displayed. A number of initiatives are being rapidly implemented to ensure that ...

COMMUNITY

Family life during lockdown in Florence

I get up at 4am—uncharacteristically, I can assure you—and make a strong cup of coffee. Sitting on the still-dark balcony, I wait for the sun to rise, breathing in air ...

COMMUNITY

Exiled inside: parallels with Dante Alighieri

For the moment, we settle into a different exile, the one that really matters, and that is our personal severance from all society.

COMMUNITY

Do you qualify for Italian dual citizenship?

Many Italians born abroad feel as if Italy is their homeland

COMMUNITY

Retreat into your home, not into yourself

I was at a birthday party when the news came through. Italy was under lockdown. It was 11pm or so. Buoyed by other people’s wine and other people’s cigarette fumes—I ...

COMMUNITY

TF Together: online community events

The outpouring of creativity over the last tumultuous year has been truly inspiring. The number of online events, exercise routines and virtual meet-ups is mind-boggling. For English speakers in Italy, however, ...

COMMUNITY

No more chances after today

It takes me a while to realise I miss the car horns. Traffic still flies by, the emptier roads mean Italians take pleasure in speeding along, but what’s missing is ...

COMMUNITY

Ways to be creative in quarantine

Florence is semi-deserted. Closed museums, empty shops and directives to restrict our movements leave us wondering what we should do. From art and writing contests to a best balcony competition, ...

COMMUNITY

Fiscal Benefits for Agricultural Properties in Italy

The agricultural sector in Tuscany is currently in a period of growth. According to the Unioncamere- Infocamere, the number of agricultural and food businesses managed by people under 35 ...

COMMUNITY

Rental Diaries, vol. 29

“I’m going to have to zoom in on your face and on the food, Mary,” said my cameraman colleague during a recent filming session in my kitchen. We were shooting ...

COMMUNITY

Rental Diaries, vol.28

I was three Negronis deep with my friend Valentina recently when the conversation took a familiar turn. You know the one: discussing the merits and drawbacks of the day-to-day in ...

COMMUNITY

Vietnam to Tuscany: international adoption

Between 2004 and 2018, the number of children adopted from abroad in Italy decreased. According to data, the number of adopted children peaked in 2010 with 4,130 adoptions, and fell ...

COMMUNITY

“Why do you have two moms?

The Cirinnà Law in 2016 made civil partnership legal, making Italy the 27th country in Europe to legally recognize same sex couples. Moreover, the law also governs the rights and ...

COMMUNITY

Quakers in Florence

It’s a sunny-but-chilly winter morning in Florence and a small group of Quakers—formally known as the Religious Society of Friends—is warming up inside Sylvia Hetzel’s apartment. The fledgling family, founded ...

COMMUNITY

The Fiumi family

With deep Florentine roots yet an international outlook, the Fiumi family are symbols of success with a charisma and dedication that is awe-inspiring. The Florence-born siblings all left for pastures ...

COMMUNITY

Moving your family to Italy

The following three priorities should be taken into consideration if you are planning on moving to Italy with your family: 1) residency at the local anagrafe, the vital records ...

COMMUNITY

On Lorenza Mazzetti and remembering Einstein

Some years ago, our family moved from the city center to a quiet farmhouse just 10 kilometers south of Florence, not far from San Donato in Collina. This small town, ...

COMMUNITY

Rental diaries, vol.27

I don’t tend to think of Phil Dunphy and Clark Griswold, the dopey dads of Modern Family and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, respectively, as characters with whom I have much ...

COMMUNITY

Ripple effect

Four powerful keywords brandish the central message on the Lady Ripple website: Seek, Create, Inspire and Empower.   Laura Shadden and Allyson Volpe, America-born friends, have lived in Tuscany ...

COMMUNITY

Helping others

In a place renowned for its fine food, it is heartbreaking to know that so many go without. Thankfully, there are a number of local groups dedicated to balancing the ...

COMMUNITY

Good intentions

If it’s in print, it has to happen. That’s our goal as TF’s staff reveal their plans and aspirations for 2020.           My aim for 2020 ...

COMMUNITY

LdM Institute gains a new hub

The Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute and the film company Fair Play have won the public tender to occupy one and a half floors of the former San Firenze courthouse.   ...

COMMUNITY

Florida State University to move

Early this summer, Florida State University International Programs Italy will enter the future by stepping 500 years into the past.     In June, renovations are to be completed on ...

COMMUNITY

Rental Diaries vol.26

In the past week, I’ve had a particularly dense concentration of deadlines and a growing list of ungratifying errands to be run. In the past week, I also reactivated my ...

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE