COMMUNITY

COMMUNITY

Connect US: linking American entrepreneurs and Tuscan businesses

The US Consul General, Ragini Gupta, has introduced a scheme to connect Florence’s finest American business minds with the city’s businesses.

COMMUNITY

Fathoming Florence: Editor’s letter

This February, Florence is expected to have a special visitor as Pope Francis attends the final day of the Italian Episcopal Conference “Mediterranean, Frontier of Peace” on February 27. Bringing ...

COMMUNITY

Mental health services in Florence

Feeling heard when you’re struggling and knowing when and where to find help is crucial for those in need of mental health assistance. For many who have transplanted to Italy, ...

COMMUNITY

Ladies Adventures Florence: a women-only community

Start the new year with an adventure or two. Lori Anne Lo Presti tells The Florentine about how she moved to Florence and founded the ever-more popular group Ladies Adventures ...

COMMUNITY

Danae Mercer @danaemercer

Danae Mercer, a journalist, activist, content creator and Cambridge alumna, reveals the tricks of the trade behind posed and filtered photos to highlight the difference between appearance and reality and ...

COMMUNITY

In Memoriam: Elisabeth Robbins Cole

Friends come and go in this life. Connections wax and wane. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can direct and drive their paths. You can’t. But you can ...

COMMUNITY

BACH TALKS: David Bach and Elia Nichols

Internationally acclaimed financial expert and ten times New York Times bestselling author David Bach interviews Florence-based entrepreneurs who are accomplishing inspiring things in pandemic times in this new column, titled ...

COMMUNITY

Think psychedelic: Editor’s letter

January has traditionally always been a time of starting anew and thinking about the future. As I type this month’s letter, flurries of snow are falling from the whitest of ...

COMMUNITY

10 questions a foreign investor should ask himself before buying a farm or a property complex in Italy

If you are planning to spend your time “under the Italian sun,” by purchasing an agricultural property, and you want to maximize its architectural, historical, agricultural, and recreational value, below ...

COMMUNITY

Sophia Sanchez @iamsophiasanchez

From first experiences of winter and Ikea to blossoming in the beauty of the city, Sophia Sanchez came to Florence from Cebu in the Philippines in pursuit of her architectural ...

COMMUNITY

Lights, camera, Christmas: Editor’s letter

In this indeterminate twilight zone of pandemic living, I was walking home one evening when realization suddenly dawned that the Christmas lights had been switched on. Bright, beautiful, joyful! Two ...

COMMUNITY

Florentine exile and the tyranny of distance

Do I need that black cardigan? I thought, pulling the heavy door shut. Then I thought, No, I’ll be back in four weeks. I can do without it. What I ...

COMMUNITY

Danella Lucioni @windowtotheduomo

People talk about a ‘room with a view’ to an almost exhausting level (inevitable in Florence), but when faced with Brunelleschi’s Duomo at what feels like a touchable distance, how ...

COMMUNITY

A thousand “grazie”: Editor’s letter

Thank you must be one of the most frequently used words in the English language. That, and sorry. But is there a point when a phrase becomes so commonplace that ...

COMMUNITY

Patience and clarity: meet James Short

James Short is the multi-talented director of music and deputy churchwarden at St. Mark’s English Church. He speaks with Caroline Savage about his music, life and the roles he plays ...

COMMUNITY

Talking about universities and conferences with Alessandra Petrucci

Leaders in academic, medical, research and professional fields were awarded on October 14 for their commitment to winning bids to hold congresses and events in Florence, which bring a strong ...

COMMUNITY

International School of Florence: humanist values and a global mindset

Despite its young age of 70 years, the International School of Florence, one of the oldest international schools in Europe, is harnessing its humanist values and global mindset to build ...

COMMUNITY

Yearning for Florence

I absolutely walk on the smooth flags of Florence for the mere pleasure of walking, and lie in its atmosphere for the mere pleasure of living. I hardly think there ...

COMMUNITY

Breakfast with Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos

For New York actor Debi Mazar (Goodfellas, Entourage, Younger), the dream of living in Italy was once something only imaginable on the big screen. Everything changed when she met Gabriele ...

COMMUNITY

Kacie Rose Burns @kacierose_

A Michigan-born musical theatre performer based in New York visited Florence on a three-day solo trip. Sitting alone at the Jazz Club, she sees Dario, and that’s where her story ...

COMMUNITY

The Jewish Community of Florence: from kindergarten to care home

Freshly baked challah has been carefully wrapped in individual paper packages and arranged in a wicker basket by the entrance into the Jewish Community of Florence. While the ...

COMMUNITY

Prioritizing your mental health this fall in Florence

Italians tend to view autumn as the start of the calendar year since summer festivities conclude, our routines resume and children go back to school. As we now are officially ...

COMMUNITY

Thoughts about education in Italy

We pick the minds of local education experts with considered contributions from Simon Gammell, Director of The British Institute; Carla Guarducci, President & CEO, Lorenzo De’ Medici – The Italian International ...

COMMUNITY

Giulia Lorimer: a Tuscan legacy

There is something profoundly touching when someone like Giulia Daneo Lorimer exits life’s stage while her sons and daughters watch as her lights slowly dim. But then, on September 11, ...

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE