COMMUNITY

COMMUNITY

Welcoming words with Reverend Richard Easterling

It was the sunniest of Florentine mornings when I sat down in the vestry with Reverend Richard Easterling and his husband David Wohlgemuth. Richard is the new priest-in-charge of St. ...

COMMUNITY

Whoever drinks Black earns color: Editor’s Letter

Black Madonnas occupied every landing in the Elba Island hotel where I retreated last summer. Beautiful to behold, sacred and ageless, the transracial religious art in an isolated corner of ...

COMMUNITY

The Great Synagogue and the Jewish Community of Florence

Standing on the piazzale Michelangelo on a painterly grey afternoon, I see an oxidized green dome not quite towering above the rest, just being “present”. I wonder about its construction, ...

COMMUNITY

Celebrating secondary school teachers in Florence

In the last days of summer, when most of us were indulging in myriad entertainments, Florence’s secondary teachers were bracing for the fall semester. I learned this first-hand on an ...

COMMUNITY

Lessons learned and lessons pending with Europass Teacher Academy

For the sustainable development of our communities, the United Nations points to the need to “ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.” The COVID-19 ...

COMMUNITY

Fiscal benefits in Italy for foreign investors and workers

The Italian government is encouraging foreigners to move to Italy through several legislative measures. Since 2015, different governments and different majorities have passed several laws in order to grant fiscal ...

COMMUNITY

Talking community with Nirav Tolia

Nirav Tolia is an über-successful entrepreneur who studied at Stanford University before working for Yahoo! and going on to found his own businesses including Epinions and, most notably, Nextdoor. With ...

COMMUNITY

We Saw the Stars Again: Editor’s Letter

Last Friday, I saw the stars again. In the pitch black of the Tuscan hills, the constellations studded the night sky. Overwhelmed, I couldn’t look away; months had passed since ...

COMMUNITY

Opening a new business in Italy

Do you have a foreign company and want to open a new business in Italy?   A foreign company that wants to open a new business in Italy may ...

COMMUNITY

Until we meet again

All we really want this Christmas is the beginning of the end of the pandemic and a return to—or rather of—Florence. We miss our imperfect city’s pep, the myriad museums ...

COMMUNITY

Supporting UK nationals obtaining residency in Italy: IOM

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) provides information and support to UK nationals living in Italy who may find it harder to complete their residency applications, in order to ...

COMMUNITY

Meeting Ragini Gupta, US Consul General in Florence

Ragini Gupta has served as a US diplomat since 2002 with previous assignments in Jordan, Mexico, Pakistan and India, as well as serving as director of the Office of Broadcast ...

COMMUNITY

Superbonus 110%: also for non-Italian citizens

One of the innovative acts (DL n.34 of 19/05/2020), approved by the Italian Parliament in 2020, is the “Superbonus 110%”. It is a 110% tax credit of the expenditure made ...

COMMUNITY

A conversation with Kim Campbell

In her home in the Florence hills, The Right Honourable Kim Campbell is proudly wearing the Order of Canada, a snowflake pin with a maple leaf in the middle, an ...

COMMUNITY

Beauty as antidote: Editor’s letter

Last Sunday was a quintessential autumn day: turning leaves, the occasional red vine and fast-paced clouds releasing rainfall or revealing sunshine. I was in Poggibonsi, halfway between Florence and Siena, ...

COMMUNITY

Florence brings out the best in you

The great Italian writer, Italo Calvino, wrote: “You take delight not in a city’s seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours”. With ...

COMMUNITY

Work from anywhere, work from Florence

After my seventh month of lockdown life, the routine of work from home, eat, sleep and repeat was beginning to pall and I found myself craving some fresh inspiration. London ...

COMMUNITY

A thing of beauty

Europe is suffering and Italy is rallying once more to protect its health and economy from a second uptick of the pandemic. As we head into a troubling winter, beauty ...

COMMUNITY

Draw strength from beauty: Editor’s letter

Draw strength from beauty.   On Tuesday, I stood, masked, on Ponte alla Carraia for 10 minutes between appointments and drank in all of Florence’s perpetual possibilities. Horace coined carpe ...

COMMUNITY

British citizens in Italy: what to do before December 31

For more than four years, Brexit has left the tens of thousands of British citizens in Italy in limbo. And while this saga is finally reaching its denouement, the status ...

COMMUNITY

How to take a sabbatical in Florence

There’s never been a better time to plan a sabbatical in Florence and consider spending a life-enriching extended period of time in Italy.   Earlier in the year, more than ...

COMMUNITY

What’s new at Europass Italian Language School in Florence

Italian-Brazilian Rafael Tronquini, communication manager at Europass Italian Language School, talks to The Florentine about what’s new at the popular institution in Florence, including reduced class sizes, online offerings and ...

COMMUNITY

A guide for non-EU citizens who enter Italy

What types of visas and permits do you need?   To enter Italy a non-EU citizen needs a passport and an entry visa, which must be requested from the Consulate ...

COMMUNITY

Buy a house for 1 euro while saving on taxes

In 2008 the town of Salemi reached international headlines due to an interesting real estate program: houses on sale for 1 euro. Many foreigners who had always dreamed about being ...

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE